If your project requires a federal permit, the regulatory agency must consider the effects of the project on historic properties. For a CWA permit, the Corps will provide information about how the NHPA affects your specific property. While most private landowner projects are far less likely to require an NHPA permit, it is a permit you must be aware of if your project requires other federal permits.

The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP) has created a Section 106 Applicant Toolbox online that provides more information on the Section 106 review process.