If your project is too large or the type of work is not included in the NWPs, the project will need an Individual Permit. These permits are a lengthy process that can take a minimum of four to six months to complete, and the Corps has to determine that the project is the least environmentally damaging, practicable alternative, or they will not issue the Individual Permit.

Some activities, such as drop structures that contain greater than 25 cubic yards of material, do not fit under a NWP and would require an Individual Permit.